Level A Practical Assessments
MINIMUM CRANE SIZES
Minimum Boom Length & Capacity
- All Cranes must have a boom length
of at least 25 feet (7.62 metres)
— or —
a capacity of at least 5 US tons
- Lattice boom cranes must have a
boom length of at least 100 feet
- All telescoping boom cranes must
extend their telescopic sections to
70% of the total boom length
- Mobile Hydraulic 80 Tonnes & Under
cranes must have a capacity over
20 tonnes (22.05 tons)
Minimum Height – Tower Crane
Hook height must be at least 80 feet above the ground/deck surface where targets will be laid out
If you have any questions concerning these requirements, please contact us. The assessor will not continue with the assessment if the crane provided does not meet the minimum size requirements.
The following requirements must also be fulfilled for the assessment to take place:
- Cranes must have an up-to-date certification for the practical assessment. If the crane certification is not up-to-date, the assessment will not proceed.
- The Load Chart and Log Book must be legible, up-to-date and available.
- Outrigger pads must be available for crane set up. The floats provided with the cranes are not sufficient.
- A Load with a minimum weight of 100lbs (45kg) and maximum weight of no more than 5% of the crane’s maximum capacity must be available.
- Adequate yard space must be available for crane set up and to perform the operating components of the assessment.
- No power lines may be in the operating area.
NB: There are no restrictions for parts of line.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Learn more about how to classify Folding Boom Truck Cranes.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
For more information on crane requirements, see RESTRICTIONS.
Each application form contains complete details about the level of certification and all requirements. If you have any questions about the application forms or are unable to download them from this page, please contact our office.
- Level A – Full Scope Crane Operation †
- Level B – Provisional Certification
- Level C – Letter of Permission
- Level D – Limited Scope Operation
- Level D – Mechanic
To substitute a different operator for an application already paid in full, fill out and submit the Operator Substitution Form.
LEVEL A – Full Scope Crane Operation
Please note the list of crane and on-site requirements for the Level A assessment (to the right).
† Operators applying for the following crane types must register with the ITA and successfully complete their 100-question test before applying to Fulford for the CraneSafe Level A Assessment: Mobile Crane (including Lattice Friction, Lattice Hydraulic, Mobile Hydraulic Unlimited Tonnage); Mobile Hydraulic 80 Tonnes & Under; Stiff Boom Unlimited Tonnage; Folding Boom Unlimited Tonnage; and Tower Crane.
If you are a single crane operator paying for the application yourself, choose the INDIVIDUAL form. Otherwise, use the EMPLOYER application.
Application forms can be filled out on screen and submitted by email or printed and filled out by hand. If you are unable to access the forms, please contact our office.
LEVEL B –
– for Trainee Crane Operators & Apprentices –
Level B certification requires a successful result on the online Crane Core Theory Exam. If an operator is not successful, a second or third attempt of the online test may be made. For a second or third attempt, the Re-Application form must be submitted to Fulford with the additional fee.
The Level B Provisional certification may be renewed one-time only for the Fulford Certification crane types². Use the Application for Renewal.
A separate application form is available for Yukon residents.
Re-Application for Fulford CERTIFICATION² – For the second and third attempts
Level B – Re-Application Form²
Application for RENEWAL – One-time renewal for Fulford Certification²
Level B – Renewal Form²
CHANGE OF EMPLOYER – To continue your level B certification if you change employer
Level B – Change of Employer Form
² FULFORD CERTIFICATION
• Mobile Crane – 20 Tonnes & Under
• Stiff Boom Truck – 40 Tonnes & Under
• Stiff Boom Truck – 20 Tonnes & Under
• Folding Boom Truck – 22 Tonnes & Under
• Folding Boom Truck – 10 Tonnes & Under
³ ITA TRADES QUALIFICATION
• Mobile Crane (Lattice Friction, Hydraulic Friction, Hydraulic – Unlimited Tonnage)
• Mobile Hydraulic 80 Tonnes & Under
• Stiff Boom Truck – Unlimited Tonnage
• Folding Boom Truck – Unlimited Tonnage
Applications for Provincial Crane Operator Trades³ – ITA Apprenticeship
The Level B Provisional certification may be renewed up to 3 times for ITA Trade Qualifications³. Use the Application for Renewal.
Level B – Application Form – for ITA Trade Qualifications³
Level B – Renewal Form – for ITA Trade Qualifications³
LEVEL C –
Letter of Permission
LEVEL D –
Limited Scope Crane Operation
1. Level D certification requires a successful result on the online BCACS Crane Core Theory Exam.
2. There is a re-assessment fee for operators who must re-attempt the online test.
Application for CERTIFICATION - For the first attempt only
Level D – Application Form
Re-Application for CERTIFICATION - For the second and third attempts
Level D – Re-Application Form
Application for REVISION - For a change of worksite and/or employer.
Level D – Revision Application Form
LEVEL D – Mechanic: Limited Scope Crane Operation
Pending approval from WorkSafeBC.
An application form will be available once this program has been approved.