Levels B & D
Online Core Theory Test
Level B and Level D Certification requires operators to successfully pass the BC Crane Safety – Crane Core Theory Test. This is a multiple choice test that is delivered on-line.
Once your application is processed you will receive a username and password that you will enter into a login page on our website. Full details will be provided to you by email along with your username and password.
There are a total of 23 questions. A result of 17 or more is required to be successful on the test. You may attempt the test a total of three times if neccessary. If you are not successful on the first or second attempt, you will need to submit a Re-Application Form with the $50 fee for each re-attempt.
If, after the third attempt, you have not achieved a result of 17 or higher, you will need to re-apply for certification.
Once you have acheived a successful result, you will be issued your Photo ID Certificate by mail. You will receive this card within 2 weeks of completing the test.
You will need to have the BCACS Exam Figures Booklet to complete the test. You can download it here and you will also receive a copy with your login email. This is a short document that contains rigging capacity tables and a table of material weights. It is very important that you have a printed copy before you take the test. You will need to use the information included in it to answer some of the questions on the test.
Once you begin the test you will have 60 minutes to complete the test. The timer cannot be stopped once you start. Once you have begun the exam, you will be able to go forward or back to review and change your answers or skip ahead if you wish. The copy and paste functions on your computer will not function while you are doing the test.
When you are satisfied with your answers, press the submit button and you will be given your score. Do not click on the SUBMIT button before you have answered all the questions. Clicking on the Submit button will end the exam.
HOW TO PREPARE
What's on the test?
The test is made up of 6 sections with a total of 23 questions. Each question is worth one point.
SAFETY (5 points)
- Safe working practices for crane operators
- Power line hazards and high voltage equipment
• High Voltage Equipment information sheet.
COMMUNICATIONS (2 points)
CRANES (3 points)
- Craning and hoisting terminology
RIGGING (7 points)
- Lifting theory and forces
- Slings, wire ropes, rigging hardware and capacity cards
- Inspection and storage of slings and hardware
- Practice Rigging Questions
- WorkSafeBC Rigging Regulations
- Fulford Rigging Resources
HOISTING (3 points)
- Calculating load weights
• Practice Load Weight Questions
CRANE OPERATIONS (3 points)
- Pre-operational requirements
- Positioning and set-up of a crane
- WorkSafeBC Crane & Hoist Regulations
WHAT IS A MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST?
A multiple choice test is one where the question is accompanied by a choice of four possible answers, only one of which is correct. You must choose the answer which you believe is correct. Here is an example:
- What is the function of an anti-two block device on a crane?
- It prevents twisting of wire rope on the hoist drum, thereby ensuring a longer service life for the wire rope.
- It prevents the hook assembly from rotating excessively when the load is hoisted close to the tip of the boom.
- It prevents the lower load block (or hook assembly) coming in contact with the upper load block (or boom point sheave assembly).
- It prevents the operator of the crane from applying an excessive load moment to the crane when swinging a load by reducing the speed of the rotation drive.
C is the correct answer.
There is no pattern as to which letter is the right answer. The system generates a new test from a bank of questions each time you log in. The questions and answers are ordered differently each time the test is viewed.