Level D / Limited Scope Crane Operator Certification
The Level D / Limited Scope certificate is for operators making specified lifts on specific crane type(s) at a single worksite. It is held by the employer on behalf of the employee and is not transferable between worksites or employers. Should the Level D / Limited Scope crane operator leave the employ of the company named on the Level D Certificate, the Certificate is invalidated
To receive the Level D certification, trainee operators must pass the BC Crane Safe Crane Core Theory Exam (an online multiple choice test).
NOTE: If you are a crane mechanic and only require a certification for repairing and maintaining cranes you may be eligible for a Crane Mechanic Limited Scope certification from BC Crane Safety.
Who can apply?
Level D certification permits operators to operate any crane(s) for which they have successfully completed an in-house competency certification program at the worksite indicated on the application form and the certificate.
PROOF OF TRAINING
The employer must be prepared to show evidence that the operator has received training for the specified crane(s) operated. This can include:
- Employer’s Record of Training for Level D Certified Crane Operator
- BC Crane Safety electronic logbook
- Purchased training materials
- Confirmation of training by a designated instructor, etc.
How am I assessed?
The Level D test has 6 sections with a total of 23 questions, you must achieve a score of at least 17 to pass the test. The test can be retaken two additional times for a reassessment fee.
- Safe working practices (5 points)
- Hand signals (2 points)
- Terminology & regulations (3 points)
- Rigging (7 points)
- Calculating load weight (3 points)
- Crane pre-operational requirements (3 points)
- Non-employees of the identified employer cannot be working with or around the Level D operator
- The employer is responsible for all lifts.
- No critical lifts are permitted (see link below), as defined by WorkSafeBC.
- The certificate is not transferable to other sites or employers. If the operator leaves the employ of the employer named on the card, the certificate is no longer valid.
- The operator may only perform lifts planned and trained for by the employer.
- The operator can operate only on the worksite designated on the certificate.
Level D Application Fee
$290.00 + $14.50 GST = $304.50
Fee to Retake Exam
$60.00 + $3.00 GST = $63.00
Need to retake the exam?
For second or third attempts of the Level D exam
Need to revise your certificate?
For a change of worksite and/or employer.